“Successful packaging restages can create a meaningful ROI,” says Andrea Fraboni, global lead of Nielsen BASES Design Solutions. “Nielsen BASES Design Impact Awards was created to honor those brands that have elevated packaging in their marketing mix while inspiring other brands to take a deeper look at their packaging designs. “
According to Nielsen, more than 100 CPG brands and their design agencies worldwide submitted redesigns that were successfully launched between January 2017, and January 2019. Nielsen reviewed in-market performance of all submissions using its Retail Measurement Sales data, identifying brands that experienced a demonstrable increase in retail dollar sales and units during the year that followed the redesign launch. Complementing sales data, Nielsen BASES conducted research among thousands of shoppers to assess how well each redesign worked across the shopper journey.
The winners represent a range of business food, beverage alcohol, personal and home care products.
- Hi-Chew (U.S.; Parent Company: Morinaga America, Inc.; Designed By: Morinaga America, Inc.)
- 7-Select Kettle Chips (U.S.; Parent Company: 7-Eleven; Design Agency: Equator)
- SlowMag Mg (U.S.; Parent Company: Avrio Health, a subsidiary of Purdue Pharma LP; Design Agency: Walrus)
- Budweiser (U.S.; Parent Company: Anheuser-Busch InBev; Design Agency: Atlason Studio)
- StarKist Tuna Creations (U.S.; StarKist Co.; Design Agency: Marks Brand Design)
- Freshpet Select (U.S.; Parent Company: Freshpet; Design Agency: Pearlfisher)
- Plativolos (Mexico; Parent Company: Grupo Bimbo; Design Agency: Foic Lecanda)
- NIVEA Deodorant (South Africa; Parent Company: Beiersdorf; Designed By: Beiersdorf Consumer Products)
- NIVEA MicellAIR (Brazil; Parent Company: Beiersdorf)
- OREO (China; Parent Company: Mondelēz International; Designed By: Mondelēz International)
- Ryvita Crunchy Rye Breads (United Kingdom; Parent Company: Associated British Foods; Design Agency: Coley Porter Bell)
- Maggi Dry Recipe Mixes (United Kingdom; Parent Company: Nestlé; Designed By: Nestlé)
Fraboni adds: “All 12 honorees created packaging designs that work across the full shopper journey and that work within the complex realities of packaging. This year’s winners successfully leveraged pack redesigns to better connect with their shoppers across the pack journey to ultimately enhance sales in market.”