New Research Finds Only 6% Of Consumers Like Yellow Skittles

Aug. 25

Hackettstown, NJ — Yellow is the least favorite Skittles flavor in America, based on research conducted by Mars Wrigley Confectionery U.S., LLC into the the meaning behind the ways people eat the chewy candies. The research was done to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the launch of the brand’s “Taste The Rainbow” tagline and ongoing media campaign.

The survey examined flavor preferences, behaviors and interests related to how respondents eat the candies.

“Whether it’s conscious or sub-conscious, chances are you have a preferred way to enjoy Skittles,” says Rebecca Duke, senior brand manager. “We love learning about our fans, so we wanted to understand why these preferences exist and what they really mean. It’s a unique way for us to continue spotlighting our brand and passionate fanbase.”

According to the company, many unexpected correlations between the way people eat Skittles and their everyday behaviors were discovered, including the revelation that only 6 percent of consumers enjoy the yellow candies.

Other key findings from the research include:

Skittles-Eating Preferences

  • Nearly half (49%) report eating Skittles by the handful, while 31% grab a few at a time, and 20% go one at a time
  • 1 in 5 (20%) shake their Skittles like dice before eating them
  • Almost a quarter (23%) claim that they suck on the Skittles first before chewing them
  • Those in the Northeast (26%) are more likely than those in the Midwest (20%) to suck on the Skittles first before actually chewing them
  • Those who eat Skittles one at a time are more likely to leave a party without saying goodbye (37% vs. 32%)
  • Those who eat Skittles one at a time are considered detail-oriented and are more likely to hang toilet paper in the “over position” (77% vs. 68%)
  • One-at-a-time Skittles eaters are more likely to binge-watch TV shows (66% vs. 59%). Perhaps it’s because they don’t want to be distracted by spoilers (78% vs. 74%)

Interesting Skittles-Eating Methods (verbatim responses)

  • “I like to mix them and try to guess the color I am eating”
  • “I like to eat from the outer shell, then to the insides”
  • “I like to smash them against each other and the loser Skittle gets eaten first”
  • “I suck on the first and the last Skittles I eat”
  • “I sort them by color and then eat them by going from least favorite to most favorite”

Color Preferences

  • Overall, strawberry (red) is America’s favorite Skittles flavor (33%)
  • Almost 3/4 of Skittles eaters eat in a way that’s made up of different colors (72%), while the remaining 28% eat only one Skittles color at a time
  • Nearly 1 in 5 Skittles eaters have a color ritual of pairing different Skittles together to make their own flavor combinations
  • Red Skittles lovers are more likely to identify as hopeless romantics (61% vs. 55%) and are more likely to be in a relationship (62% vs. 57%)
  • Orange Skittles eaters are more likely to respond immediately to friends’ text messages (61% vs. 51%)
  • Green Skittles lovers who are single are 50% more likely than other single Skittles eaters to have been ghosted by their dates
  • Those who favor yellow Skittles are 37% more likely than others to say it’s important to impress others (40% vs. 29%)
  • More purple Skittles lovers than other Skittles eaters call themselves lone wolves (66% vs. 58%)

Lifestyle Correlations

  • Those who make a bag of Skittles last over several days are more likely to make their bed in the morning (51% vs. 39%)
  • Those who make a bag of Skittles last over several days are more likely to have the household finances organized. They consider themselves savers (58% vs. 40%) and they invest their money (45% vs. 37%)
  • Single Skittles eaters are more likely than partnered Skittles eaters to have a 5-star rating on ride-sharing apps (39% vs. 32%)

The research was conducted by Kelton Global, and included 2,000 adults in the U.S. who have eaten Skittles in the past three months. C&ST